Friday, September 28, 2007

Here's how you fix it...

Sorry to steal your title, Chris!

"It was easier to start from scratch," said Frank Cravotta, Sabres director of creative services. "When your old logo is such an icon, it's hard to redo it."

This was a quote taken and recorded by the Buffalo News at some point last season during the logo leak. What bothers me most is that there were over 80 logos to choose from and the slug is what RBK and the Sabres thinktank settled for.

So in regards to that quote I would disagree. I could not imagine the current logo's merchandise ever outselling the examples below if a new logo is professionally done to mirror what regular joes have done with paint and photo shop...









Or if someone makes it into the real thing...



And here...





10 comments:

Drew Celestino said...

Both of those look so much better than what we currently have it literally pains me to look at them.

Here's hoping our third jerseys next year sell like hotcakes and we can be rid of the slug for good.

Anonymous said...

That's an excellent idea right there, but what I think would be ideal is to see if the designer of the "Satan Goat" could update the charging bison to match the use of the '96-'06 crossed sabres. That would be a perfect logo and a serious competitor to John Slabyk's New Blue and Gold.

Drew Celestino said...

The Goat wasn't a good fit either and is best left in the black and red era. Just my opinion of course.

Charlie @ Sabres Not Slugs.com said...

Phil, the company who designed the goat head are Jager Di Paola Kemp Design.

http://www.jdk.com

I can't say I ever liked the Goat head over the vintage or the New Blue and Gold logo, but at least it came up with a more affectionate nickname than the new logo. I would have liked the goat head to have been in blue and gold from the beginning...

TJ said...

agreed... the old logo recolored would be amazing, better than the other one made in the same style, but I would be OK with that one, too.

Drew Celestino said...

I really do love those two mockups in the post. They are exactly what I think everyone would happy with- a modern update of the classic logo.

Anonymous said...

I wasn't very fond of the Goat Head myself, Drew, but I was fond of the crossed sabres on the third jersey. In my opinion, that should've been the home jersey for that era, were it around in '96. What I was saying was it would be cool to see what that same designer could do with the classic charging bison to compliment the sabres and create a sweet new update on the vintage.

Drew Celestino said...

Understood Phil. I also liked the crossed swords logo from the red & black era, but it seemed incomplete. The concept in the article with the original buffalo charging overhead is almost perfect.

We were so close. Thanks Larry. And thanks Reebok. Ugh.

Kathleen said...

I don't like the "redesigns" either. Guess I'm a hardcore traditionalist. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Kathleen, you have good taste.